Thursday, July 5, 2007

Gymnastics for Young Girls

My 9 year old daughter has been in gymnastics since she was one year old. We started her because she literally climbed the walls even at that young age. My husband and I felt it would be a good outlet for her to use up some energy and save the walls. Anyway, she did take to gymnastics, but it still didn't save the walls!

Now she is on the team (level 4 USAG). She is practicing with the team about 10 hours per week, dancing another 6 hours, and then coming home and tumbling into the night! She just never stops. She absolutely loves the sport.

I see great benefits from gymnastics. No other sport offers so much... Strength and power, grace and flexibility, balance and coordination, plus a great deal of confidence. I was very happy that she got so involved, but now I'm just worried about all the stress on those young bones. I recently heard of another girl on the team suffering from an injury to her growth plates. Plus she fractured her arm...she is only 7 years old!

Anyone else know more about the pros and cons of gymnastics for young girls?

No comments: