Thursday, July 26, 2007

THIS MOM DOESN'T LOVE GYMNASTICS, BUT LOVES A DAUGHTER'S DREAM

After a two week break to visit my parents in upstate New York, my daughter couldn't wait to get back to her gymnastics. Her dance classes won't start up again until August so right now there is nothing on her mind buy gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics!

I keep her in the gymnastics becuase she is so in love with it, but I have to admit, I don't really encourage it. No, I'm not one of those moms pushing her into training, fighting with coaches, and telling her she'll be in the Olympics one day. However, I also refuse to tell her that she WON'T be in the Olympics one day. She's the one who talks about Olympic dreams and I believe in dreams. I believe they should be followed, allowed to grow or be changed with time as necessary, but never, ever broken.

So what is my problem if this is her dream and she is enthusiastically following it? Well, I know that with a sport like gymnastics, the longer you are in it, the more likely the chances for injury. Sometimes big injuries. I am sure to see broken arms, broken legs, trips to the hospital... as a mother I want to keep my daughter safe. Just the thought of seeing her fall in a competition or practice and getting hurt drives me crazy.

Here's what keeps me sane. Broken bones will surely heal, but a broken spirit never will. As long as my daughter has her spirit she can accomplish anything. I want to see her fly!

No comments: